- Art development experience on several AAA titles such as "StarCraft II", "Halo 4", "World of WarCraft", "Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze", Blizzard's "OverWatch", "Tomb Raider: Legend", "Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online", "WarCraft" film by Universal Pictures Directed by Duncan Jones.
- Drawing: Interior and exterior environments, characters, vehicles and other objects from imagination, Texturing: diffuse texture map and normal map painting, Ability to create relief maps or parallax maps. UV Mapping and shader network construction.
- 3D Modeling: Characters, game environments, mechanical objects and organic objects, both high and low poly. 3D Character Animation.
- Pixel Art: Sprite creation and animation of characters and environments for 2D games.
- Software: Photoshop, Painter, Maya, 3DS Max, Softimage, Lightwave, ZBrush, Mudbox, CrazyBump, Perforce and Hansoft.
- Strong leadership abilities. Able to make quick decisions on aesthetics to improve the direction of the game. Considerable experience working with artists under my leadership.
- Good communication ability and able to create a vision for the artistic direction of a game.
- High level of mentorship. Ability to teach artists both junior and senior to improve their abilities and their competence. Experience in teaching art classes to students and to team members.
- Able to grow an art team, conduct interviews, identify talent.
Art Director, Gameloft New Zealand (June 2014 - Present)
Led a team of 60 character artists, environment artists, animators, concept artists and UI artists for the completion of various F2P iOS game projects. "Country Friends", "Ice Age: Avalanche", "Ice Age Adventure", "Seven Seas", "Nova 4", "Pastry Paradise" and "Larger Than Life".
- Grew the art team of Gameloft in numbers and in competence
- Taught several classes to the art staff on drawing and design fundamentals to improve their abilities
- Established styles on various projects, then saw those projects through to completion, maintaining a strong cohesive style that resonated among critics and players
- Led the team through daily drawings and drawovers to guide the look of various projects. Providing visual targets for the various artists
- Conducted candidate interviews and selected the best available artists to join our team. These artists were highly effective contributors to our projects
- Conducted employee reviews. Found opportunities for artists to improve themselves throughout the studio
- Established the initial art team for Gameloft Brisbane in Australia
Contract Game Art Services, Toph Gorham (Aug 2009 - Dec 2015)
- Client: Blizzard Entertainment (May 2013 - May 2014) - Concept art for Pre-rendered and in-game cinematics and cinematics for various unannounced projects in addition to "StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void". Concept art for "WarCraft" June 2016 film from Universal Pictures Directed by Duncan Jones. Concept art for "Overwatch" cinematic trailer.
- Client: Retro Studios (Mar 2012 - Jan 2013) - Created concept art for various environments, characters, buildings, props, etc. for "Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze" (platform game for Wii).
- Client: Certain Affinity (July 2011 - March 2012) - Created concept art for various environments, machinery, buildings, tech, etc. for the multiplayer game "Halo 4".
- Client: Vigil Games (Aug 2009 - Nov 2010) - Created concept art establishing the look of various elements in the game such as environments, vehicles and machinery for "Warhammer 40,000 Dark Millennium Online" (massively multiplayer online role-playing game).
- Client: KingsIsle Entertainment (Jan 2013 - May 2013) - Created concept art for various environments, tech, vehicles and spaceships, buildings, weapons, etc. for online virtual worlds: "Wizard 101" and "Pirate 101".
- Client: Red Fly Studio (Jan 2011 - June 2011) - Created concept art for various environments, worlds, machinery, vehicles, robots, etc. for an untitled Darth Maul-themed Star Wars Action Game.
- Client: Pixelart Games Academy (Dec 2015) - Taught courses in drawing with a focus on line quality, design and game development.
- Client: Kazone Art Academy (May 2013 - May 2014) - Taught courses in drawing with a focus on perspective, composition, line quality and design.
Smart Bomb Interactive (May 2006 - June 2009)
Art Director - "Snoopy Flying Ace" (combat game XBox 360), "War Grunts" (RTS game for Wii).
Concept Artist and Texture Artist - "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" (combat game for PS2, PSP and PC).
- Developed the original idea and created extensive concept art (vehicles, characters) establishing the overall look and visual style of the games.
- Oversaw the development of accurate and timely game assets.
- Devised several new methods for creating normal, relief, and parallax maps that were simpler, faster and more dynamic than old methods.
- Worked closely with the programmers fully to develop the design and gameplay.
- Created concept art for vehicles, buildings, environments and characters.
- Responsible for developing the texture style of game, which received many positive reviews.
- Developed new game ideas with original artwork to inspire the look and feel.
- Wrote several game design documents.
- Taught classes for the art team covering many applicable aspects of game art such as concepting, texture painting and methods for creating normal and relief maps from scratch.
Texture Artist, Omation (July 2004 - Dec 2005)
"The Barnyard" (3D animated feature film)
- Painted textures and worked with shaders and UVs for characters and environments.
- Textured main characters Dag the Coyote and Mr. and Mrs. Beady, as well as several supporting characters.
- Responsible for texture work on many of the more detailed rusted and distressed vehicles in the movie.
Concept Artist, Crystal Dynamics (2002 - July 2004)
"Tomb Raider: Legend" (platform game for PS2, PSP, PC, XBox and XBox 360) and "Whiplash" (platform game for PS2 and XBox)
- Responsible for environmental concept art, environment modeling, texture painting, and environmental animation.
3D Artist, Blizzard Entertainment (2000 - 2002)
"World of Warcraft" (massively multiplayer online role-playing game)
- Responsible for creation of concept art, construction of 3D models and painting texture maps.
Computer Animator, Netter Digital Entertainment (1999 - 2000)
"Dan Dare" (3D animated science fiction series)
- Animated 200+ finished shots on a demanding schedule.
- Created combinations of spacecraft shots, explosion and special effects shots, but most notably character-heavy shots.
- Responsible for modeling various 3D objects.
Character Artist, Walt Disney Consumer Products (1995 - 1999)
- Created drawings for Disney standard character products (Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, etc).
- Worked on concepts for "Disney's Dinosaur" product ideas and drawings for Dinosaur-related products.
- Conceptualized product designs and ideas for other product lines.
1401 South 2100 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108
phone: (801) 582-0141